Even as we approach IPL 2019, Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani is now the world’s richest sports team owner, according to reports. Owner of the Mumbai Indians team, Mukesh Ambani’s net worth by increased by a whopping $10 billion, to $50 billion, over the last one year period, and it has more than doubled over the past two years.
The brand value of Mumbai Indians, the three-time IPL champions, was estimated to be $106 million in 2017 by Duff & Phelps. A 36% jump since 2016 made it one of the most valuable IPL teams and also the first franchise to cross $100 million mark among the IPL teams.
There are 58 billionaire owners of teams in major sports leagues around the world who are either majority shareholders or managing partners in the team. They collectively own 70 teams and are worth a combined $359 billion, according to report.
NBA team Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer remains the second-richest sports team owner in the world and the wealthiest owner of an American sports team. In the last 12 months, his net worth has risen by 7% to $41.2 billion. Ballmer, who retired as Microsoft CEO in 2014 and purchased the Clippers in 2014, has kept most his shares in the software giant.
Here are the top 10 richest sports team owners in the world. (Source Forbes)
- Mukesh Ambani, Net worth: $50 billion, Team: Mumbai Indians
- Steve Ballmer, Net worth: $41.2 billion, Team: Los Angeles Clippers
- Dietrich Mateschitz, Net worth: $18.9 billion, Teams: New York Red Bulls, Red Bull Racing, Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda
- Hasso Plattner & family, Net worth: $13.5 billion, Team: San Jose Sharks
- Roman Abramovich, Net worth: $12.4 billion, Team: Chelsea FC
- David Tepper, Net worth: $11.6 billion, Team: Carolina Panthers
- Philip Anschutz, Net worth: $10.9 billion, Teams: Los Angeles Kings, LA Galaxy
- Mikhail Prokhorov, Net worth: $9.8 billion, Team: Brooklyn Nets
- Micky Arison, Net worth: $8.9 billion, Team: Miami Heat
- Stanley Kroenke, Net worth: $8.7 billion, Teams: Los Angeles Rams, Arsenal, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Rapids